Winter Driving Tips for Calgary Travelers
Driving in ice and snow is hard, and unfortunately here in Calgary, AB there are a whole lot of months in the year where those are exactly the conditions in which we are forced to drive. There’s a lot to love about snow, obviously, especially for those who like skiing, snowboarding, and ice skating, but in terms of being behind the wheel, it can make things rather challenging.
As your new and used Chevy, Buick, and GMC dealership, we want the best for our customers, so here are a few tips to stay safe as we enter the coldest, snowiest, iciest months of the year:
- Always drive with your headlights on when it’s snowing outside. Other people want to see you as badly as you want to see other people.
- Keep an eye out for bridges and overpasses, as they can freeze over more quickly than other roads.
- If you do end up slipping or sliding around on a road, remember that your anti-lock brakes are designed to do the hard work for you. Steer into the curve and keep your cool while you regain control of the vehicle.
- Drive slowly. Whatever kind of hurry you’re in, it’s not worth getting into an accident over it. Accelerate slowly and brake with plenty of time to make a slow, complete stop.
- Keep an extra blanket, a snow shovel, an ice scraper and some salt or sand handy in case you ever do find yourself stuck. Keeping a half tank of gas in the car also ensures you’ll be able to stay warm for several hours, rather than freezing in a snow bank.
Vehicles like the 2017 GMC Terrain and 2017 Chevrolet Silverado are great on all surfaces, but for any of the vehicles we sell here at Shaw GMC Chevrolet Buick, following these tips will help ensure that our customers are as safe as they possibly can be this upcoming winter season.